This form is provided for individuals and families to apply for Travel Scholarships.
Please only make ONE CanPKU application per household/per event.
Our goal is to help families who would like to attend our education and networking event but cannot manage some or all of the travel costs.
Prior to applying for a Travel Scholarship, please ensure you completely read and understand the Travel Scholarship eligibility criteria.
CanPKU Travel Scholarships: Eligibility Criteria
1. Applicants must be Canadian Residents;
2. Applicants must be current CanPKU members, with their annual membership expiring at least two months after the date of event; (Membership is as low as $20/member check out www.canpku.org/membership)
3. Applicants must attend the entire event as scheduled;
4. Only one application per household will be considered;
5. Application to cover the cost of event fees may be limited to those with PKU (and one parent should the individual with PKU be under 18 years old.)
6. There are two tiers of travel scholarship allocations based on distance from your residence to the event:
(Tier 1) – travel by car is equal to or less than 6 hours;
(Tier 2) – travel by car is more than 6 hours;
7. Tier 1 will only be eligible to be reimbursed a land travel cost;
8. Application for Mileage reimbursement for travel by automobile is based on the vehicle and not the number of occupants in the vehicle. To assist with cost, CanPKU may request carpooling for families who will travel the same route, if available;
9. Application for Airfare reimbursement (Tier 2 ONLY) is limited to those with PKU and one parent if applicant is under the age of 18;
10. Applicants must complete the application form and submit it by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered;
11. Scholarship winners must follow procedures provided regarding completion of an expense report and submission of original receipts for reimbursement. Advances will not be given to Tier 1. Tier 2 may submit airfare receipts upon purchase for consideration; If the trip is not made, any advanced funds would be owed back to CanPKU.
12. Scholarship winners agree to assist with tasks at the event. You will be able to enjoy many activities of the event and we will do our best to match your volunteer interests with our needs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss these tasks further;
13. Scholarship winners must provide a letter to CanPKU following the event describing how they benefited from winning the scholarship and attending the event, with permission to use in CanPKU publications and website, at the discretion of CanPKU; and
14. As funding is limited; Overall value of the scholarship will also be determined by the number of applicants to the program along with the criteria above.
Registrants are encouraged to stay and secure accommodations as soon as possible at the specific hotel which offers CanPKU’s group rate but will not be reimbursed for any fees charged should you not win a scholarship (please contact Tanya for hotel details). Please ensure you cancel your room booking if need be according to hotel guidelines.
We will make a final decision and any winner will be contacted three or four days after the application deadline on the Wednesday or Thursday.